Thursday, May 3, 2012

We all get older

In a week, 1 short week, I will turn 45. I have no idea how that has happened. I'm decidedly middle age and I have no idea what I want to do with my life. I'm seriously considering going back to school, but I don't know for what. Teaching? At one point I thought I'd like being a teacher Math or Science in middle school or high school. I'm pretty good at bookkeeping, and finishing my degree in accounting might work. Hmmm. I feel like I need to know what I'm going to do next. Teaching almost makes the most sense. I could get my degree while still homeschooling my boy then using the things I learned in school and to teach my so to teach others.

Anyway I'm getting old and the numbers are starting to show it more.

This wasn't suppose to be a post about that, about me getting older and not knowing what the hell I want to do with my life. It is suppose to be about how my son is getting older and growing up and becoming a loving, caring human being. So let me write that post now.

He has for almost a year now been asking me what I like and want to do, first it was claimed to be a Christmas list and then was ignored for Christmas, but as my birthday has loomed on the horizon he has started talking about the list again. I asked if he wanted my help with anything and he said no, then he said he would talk to his dad, and he did. He is bursting with excitement of what they have planned. He came up to me this morning and was bouncing around saying "We have the BEST birthday celebration planned for you!" When I said "Will you tell me?" His reply was to cover his eyes and start saying "don't look in the eyes they will make you blurt it out!"

So he is now upstairs making me a card that will go with the celebration (and avoiding doing his school work) but he is writing and drawing.

Well my 'writing time' is gone and we are off to do school work.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love this. and i love the idea that while he is growing older, you are not. that sentiment is so true for me, as well. i think arrested development hit in earnest in my mid-30s and hasn't yet left me alone. can't wait to hear what they have planned for you!

Arlene said...

We had a friend who used to talk about his "soul age". He was 7 and that always made us laugh because it was appropriate. My soul age is 26. Dunno why, it just is. I worry some times that I haven't done enough but really, do you need to "do" something? True, we need to make money, etc. But do you already "do" lots of neat things and I wonder if the journey through all of what you do is really the important part. Happy early birthday in case I forget!